Sunday, October 14, 2012

Humble Pie

I've been realizing lately (and most noticeably at Mass last night, when I had to go in my work uniform) that I like to let people know that I work at Disney World. I mean yes, sometimes it legitimately comes up in conversation with people at the parks or randomly around town. But other times, I go places in my Disney Parks shirt after work or hold my ID unnecessarily... it's getting to the point where I sometimes think to myself, "why did I just say that?" 

I was coming home from work this morning and I heard the song "Do Everything" by Stephen Curtis Chapman on the radio... if you've never heard it, I'll wait a second while you listen. 


Okay. 
One line in particular stood out to me: "maybe you're that guy with the suit and tie, maybe your shirt says your name; you may be hooking up mergers or cooking up burgers..." 

It hit me particularly because of news I got last week- I'm getting deployed from Blizzard Beach. The other water park is closing for refurbishment, so their full time workers are coming to Blizzard, and all the college programmers are being sent out to other places around Disney. I got assigned to Epcot to work custodial. All of a sudden, I got really quiet about telling people that I work at Disney, or more specifically telling them what I'm going to be doing (that's what I get for praying the litany of humility!) I was embarrassed. I was disappointed. I was hiding the truth. I was VERY upset. But the more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to it. First, I'm a very neat and organized person; I have no problem picking up trash and making sure everything is in its place. Second, not many people get the chance to work two different jobs on their college programs- I'll get to meet twice as many people and have twice as many new experiences. Third, I will probably learn something that I will use later in life, whether about cleaning or organizing or whatever. 

I know it sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into liking it, and I kind of still am. But in reality, it's still a job, and I'm blessed to have the opportunity to work. I'll get to talk to a lot of guests and help them out. Like the song says, it doesn't matter what I'm doing. God (and many guests) will appreciate the work that I do, because it glorifies Him. As long as I remember that, I'm going to be just fine. 


AND the weather today is beautiful. That in itself is something to be thankful for. 
Don't forget to tell your family and friends you love them! Today is a gift- don't take it for granted. 

Peace & Prayers,
Nemo


No comments:

Post a Comment